Sunday, May 20, 2012

Chicken & Sausage Gumbo.


Yes, it had to be added!

Gumbo is something that NO ONE makes the same, some like it light, some like it dark. I prefer a lighter gumbo, much less gravy like & so does my husband. Now, if you don't like spicy add a little less cayenne & tony's but we like ours hot, so I tried an even keel here and this is a mild gumbo. I just made this tonight for dinner, it can be left out overnight. It just makes it thicker and brings out spices! I made this tonight for dinner so we can bring the rest to a function tomorrow. Don't worry I'll take it slow on this one!


INGREDIENTS:
2 Stalks celery
1 large yellow sweet onion
3-5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 andouille sausage links. (if you have an HEB, you can get them there.)
1 cup oil
2 cups flour
4 quarts chicken broth
1 tbsp file
Large pot!
2 1/2 cups rice. (No I'm not going to tell you how to make rice, don't worry!)

The spices I use, (you can omit or add what you please.)
Basil
Celery salt
Garlic
Onion powder
Tony's
Cayenne pepper
Bay leaves
Thyme.

Even if you don't want it spicy I reccomend using a little of all of these things to flavor it correctly.
The longer you cook your roux (I'm about to explain.) the darker it will become, the darker it is the more gravy like it is, but DO NOT BURN IT. I REPEAT, DO NOT BURN THE ROUX. I've done so before, it stinks and your base is ruined afterwards.


I always start by getting everything chopped and prepared to cook since roux is SO darn touchy.
So let's chop all the onions, celery, chicken, and sausage. Yes, keep them all seperate for now.
When you're done it should look something like this~
Yes, my kitchen is a mess during gumbo! Who am I kidding, it's a mess all the time.

Anyways, Once you've done all that, take out ALL the spices you're using and basically everything on the list. Grab your pot, (I use a 6 quart paula deen pot). Pour the oil & flour in and whisk it all together until it is well incorporated. Then turn on the burner to medium-low heat and stir CONSTANTLY otherwise your roux will burn quickly, but don't be afraid it takes ten minutes or so to cook, or more if you want it darker. Once it starts to bubble it's cooking, then it should get the color or caramel or chocolate milk depending on how you want it.

Note: you should have seasoned and be cooking the meat now, you can cook it all together with the leftover onions for some added flavor.
Mine looked more about like so~

Now once it's the color you want, get some help so you can keep stirring and pour your cut up celery & onions in there, keep about half the onions by the way! and stir all of that really well and saute about four minutes, it should be bubbling but NOT boiling. Low heat.
I know it's a lot of pictures but gumbo is slightly complicated if you've never made so here's another once I added celery & onions. ~

I know that doesn't look likes something you just wanna dig into, yet!

Once you get all that done, add your chicken stock. and stir it up well. Add all your spices now! Once it's bubbling as well add your meat & file! and stir it up well again.

THEN YOU SHOULD END UP WITH THIS~


Yes, that's my goofy husband, he loves gumbo nights.
If a man won't eat it, you're doing something wrong, and that's a food philosophy to live by.

But really it should look something similar to this~





Cover it up & let it cook for about 45 minutes to an hour stir every fifteen minutes. The once it's all finished if you want it thick let it sit for 30 minutes! It's just as good soon as it's done, it just won't quite thicken up as much unless you wait.
Serve it over rice with saltines and waalllaaa, phenomenal gumbo night!





No comments:

Post a Comment