Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Super easy chicken pot pie.



Okay guys, on Monday nights I don't want to do anything. So chicken it is.
There are a billion things you can do with chicken & it is sooooo quick! So I like to try new things often.

....we eat a lot of chicken.

I couldn't decide what to make and I avoid boxes unless I have too or really want some good dirty rice. But it's at the end of our paycheck and I couldn't figure out what I had to make something with & then it hit me, chicken pot pie is so easy!



This is a FANTASTIC pie crust recipe but I was in a hurry so I chose to make a crappy one. But make this one!!!



Do itttttttt!

Okay now, let's make the pie crust. Double that recipe though so you'll have a top crust too. Or you can use your own but I like a crispy crust on this.


WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

2 chicken breast, shredded
Frozen mixed vegetables (corn, peas, carrots, green beans.) Should equal out to about 1/2 cup of each vegetable or really however much you want!
2 1/2 cups chicken broth. ( I made my own and I'll explain if you don't know how in just a second!)
1 cup milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 onion minced
1/3 cup butter
2 tsp celery salt or  1 tsp celery seed
pepper, salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 bay leaf minced
  2 nine-inch pie crust, unbaked.

Cook your chicken and season with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
Once it's cooked throw in your vegetables, onions, butter.


I know, it sounds like a lot of veggies but it's good promise!

Once they are all cooked well, pour in milk and chicken broth.

HOW I MADE THE CHICKEN BROTH:

I used 3 chicken bullion cubes and 1 beef bullion. You can alter this to taste, I like it very strongly chicken flavored.
Boil 2 1/2 cups of water and crumble in bullion cubes and stir until dissolved.
Like so~


Back to the pot pie!


Once you've poured the liquids in, add the rest of the flour and stir until it thickens. This happens quickly so watch it!
While your stirring add the rest of your spices.


Somehow the only picture I forgot to take was the one of the filling but it's okay, you'll see it later!


Preheat your oven to 375.

Fill your bottom pie crust with the mixture & cover with the other pie crust. Press down the edges and cut slits in the top of the crust to let air escape.

Bake for fourty minutes or until crust is browned and mixture is bubbly.

Yes, mine looked awful and not crispy because I used crappy crust, but it was really good anyways.

I hope you enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment