Friday, June 8, 2012

Spicy ginger chicken & sauce

Kind of like from your favorite chinese place, just the made at home version :)



Fried delicious in a spicy sauce over white rice.

I know, so not good for my diet but I'm telling you nothing makes me want fried stuff & ice-cream more than thinking about a diet! My nana's bestfriend said something kinda like that while I was home awhile back and it made me think that's exactly how I feel everyday. (:

I go to the gym three days a week and basically eat whatever I want, so when I think about cutting out fried stuff and dessert I have to go & eat a pinapple sundae from sonic. Ya know to make me feel better.... diets are for people with food self-control. So not me. I ate half the cake I made last week. Once I even ate a whole pan of brownies.
Shhhh, guilty pleasure.

Okay back to the chicken!
This can definitely be made a lot healthier if you bake you're chicken in the oven instead of frying it, but ya know. I love me some fried chicken.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

Two chicken breast (made more than enough for me & my husband.)
1/2 cup flour
2 tbsp powdered ginger
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tsp cayenne pepper

2 eggs (beaten well.)
3/4 cup flour

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup triple sec
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar (optional but worth it!)
2 tbsp ginger (fresh makes it look much prettier but powdered will do.)
1/4 onion minced
1 garlic clove minced
2 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp chili flakes
zest of a small orange & juice of a small orange
seasame seeds look awesome on this but I didn't have any!


Serve on top of steamed white rice, jasmine rice goes well with this dish.


WHAT TO DO:

First set of ingredients~
Cut up your chicken into bite sized pieces, mine were little squares. Make sure to cut the fat off too!
Chop up your onions.

Drop all the chicken in a bowl and coat with the garlic, ginger powder & cayenne pepper. Coat well on all sides then coat with flour on all sides.

Second set of ingredients~

Put your eggs in a bowl & beat them really well. As well as the flour in a seperate bowl.
Should look something like this~


Then dip each piece of chicken in egg, then flour letting the excess egg drip off into the bowl and place them all on a plate. (Do this while heating a shallow pan of oil.)
After you dip them all it should look a little like this~

Fry them on each side for a few minutes until they are golden brown. (Sorry my camera died at this point & I don't have any pictures.)
Then get out the pot or bowl to mix your sauce. (It has to be cooked but I needed to taste it so I used a bowl first.)
Put everything in the third set of ingredients in the bowl and mix it up well. Taste and if you want it to have more heat add some cayenne.
Should resemble this~


Sorry I threw away the orange before I snapped this picture. But otherwise above is everything I used.


Then pour that into a small pot and cook for a few minutes it will thicken all the sudden so watch it carefully and stir it a lot with a spatula.
Mine ended up like this~


Steam your rice while your doing this.
Once your chicken is fried pour it all in a bowl and coat the chicken well with the sauce and serve hot over rice.

Mmmm.

So if you're in Mexico like me you can have some Chinese you don't have to be afraid to eat!



 



No comments:

Post a Comment